Arkansas parsonage catches fire

Ashdown, Arkansas

Photo from South Arkansas District NYI President Jon Newlin

The Ashdown, Arkansas, Church of the Nazarene parsonage caught fire 9 June, leaving Pastor Bill Segur and his family without a home. Investigators believe the fire started in the garage but have not made a final determination.

In addition to Bill and his wife, Lisha, the couple's daughter, son-in-law, and newborn grandchild were staying in the home temporarily while they transitioned to a new house. Bill's mother was also living with them until two days before the fire.

"It's kind of a blessing, but my mother fell in her room not even 48 hours before the accident, and we decided to take her to a nursing home that morning so she could better be taken care of," Segur said. "Had she still been home, she probably wouldn't have made it."

Though none of the family was home at the time of the incident, they lost nearly all of their possessions, and their pets were trapped inside during the fire.

Despite this, Segur says he feels supported by his church family and the local community, particularly by South Arkansas District Superintendent Virgil Askren III.

"Dr. Askren has done an amazing job at reaching out and supporting us," Segur said. "He drove all the way down from Little Rock within a couple of hours of the fire to make sure we were taken care of."

Several other members of the district have also reached out to support the family — including some of Bill's church families that he served nearly 20 years ago — through prayers, posts on social media, and even love offerings. 

Currently, the family's possessions include what they were wearing at the time of the fire, as well as a suitcase full of things donated to them since the incident. 

"Things can be replaced, but we are thankful we have a great family, church family (here and everywhere we have served)," he said. "We have a wonderful community; we are blessed with our district leadership, and we just know that God is walking us through this and He will provide. Thanks to all that have already helped as well. It is appreciated! Thank you from Lisha and I and our family."

The family is currently staying in a local motel but will be moving into a rental home at the end of next week.

Posted in: