Born: April 5, 1922 Seattle, Washington
Parents: Carl Oliver Bangs, native of Mandal, Norway; Mery Dupertuis, native of Ollon, Caton de Vaud, Switzerland.
Married: Marjorie E. Friesen, Salem, Oregon, Organist.
Children: Carl O. Bangs III, founders of Fenwick Parva Press Oakland, California;
Jeremy D. Bangs, Curator, Leiden American Pilgrim Museum, Leiden, Netherlands
Jeanne E. Kasten, homemaker, teacher.
• Grammar and high school education in Seattle public schools and King County (Washington) Public Schools.
• Music Studies: University of Washington.
• A.B. , Magna cum laude, Pasadena College, 1945. Major: religion; minor: philosophy. Phi Delta Lambda Honor Society. “Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities.”
• B.D., Nazarene Theological Seminary, 1949. Major: Theology.
• Ph.D., University of Chicago, 1958. Field: Theology. Dissertation: “Arminius and Reformed Theology.” Recipient of Honor Grants.
• French Hornist, University of Washington Symphony, Tacoma Philharmonic Orchestra, Pasadena Symphony, and other symphony orchestras, 1938-43.
• Student pastorates, 1942-51
• Assistant and Associate Professor of Philosphy and Religion, Director of Bands and Brass Choir, Olivet Nazarene College, Bourbonais, Illinois, 1953-61.
• Associate Professor and Professor of Historical Theology, Saint Paul School of Theology, Kansas City, Missouri, 1961-88
• Guest Professor of Theology (on Fulbright grant,) Rijksuniveriteit te Leiden, Leiden, Netherlands, 1968-69.
• Guest Professor of Theology, Rijksuniveriteit te Leiden, Leiden, Netherlands, 1975, on grant from Nederlands Organisate voor Zuiver-Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (Netherlands Foundation for Pure Research).
• German-English Theological Word List. Printed privately, 1952; revised edition, 1962.
• The Communist Encounter. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press of Kansas City, 1963; Spanish edition, 1964.
• Arminius: A Study in the Dutch Reformation. New York and Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1971; revised edition, Grand Rapids: Francis Asbury Press, 1985.
• Our Roots of Belief: Biblical Faith and Faithful Theology. Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press of Kansas City, 1981.
• The Auction Catalogue of the Library of J. Arminius. Utrecht: H&S Publishers, 1985; Vol. 4 of the series Catalog Redivivi, R. Breugelmans, editor.
• And the author of numerous monographs and articles in reference works.