Stewardship Ministries recognizes the importance of teaching and preaching stewardship. In an effort to encourage aspiring ministers to begin thinking about the topic, we’re offering several $1,000 scholarships to students who submit a sermon.
Your sermon should:
- Be based on Philippians 4:10-20
- Explore tithing and sacrificial giving
- Relate to funding the mission of the Church of the Nazarene: To make Christlike disciples in the nations
- Exemplify a Wesleyan-Holiness perspective
Full-time Religion and Christian Education students attending Nazarene colleges, universities and seminaries in the USA and Canada are eligible to participate. Winners will be selected from two categories: undergraduate and seminary.
Sermons are judged through a blind process by a panel of judges appointed by the Director of Stewardship Ministries.
- Microsoft Word document
- Times New Roman font
- Font size 12
- 1,500 to 2,500 words
Also submit a photo of yourself (jpg format) for use on the website.
Include a cover page with: sermon title, author's name, college or university, mailing address, telephone number and email address. Do not include identifying personal information in any other part of the sermon.
Please submit original work only; cite all sources within the text.
Please remove as much identifying information as possible from the body of the sermon. Substitute generic terms for proper names, like "this congregation" or "our church" instead of “New Hope Nazarene” and likewise for state, region, town, or geographical landmark names. For personal illustrations, substitute people's names with their roles in the congregation, or simply use fictitious names.
The submission deadline is Monday, April 9, 2018. Please send your submission and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail a hard copy to: Stewardship Ministries, 17001 Prairie Star Parkway, Lenexa, KS 66220.
Winners will be announced in May 2018. The $1000 scholarship funds will be credited directly to each winner's student account balance.
By submitting your sermon for consideration, you:
1. Grant the Church of the Nazarene a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to publish your sermon and picture in any and all publications and websites of the general church. Attribution will be made each time your work is published. As the author, you have the right to use the sermon as you see fit at any time. The license includes the right to edit your work for editorial and space-saving considerations.
2. Represent and warrant that your submission is an original work and, to the best of your knowledge, does not copy or infringe upon the work of others.
For example sermons, review the previous scholarship-winning sermons below.
2016-2017 STEWARDSHIP SERMON SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
2015-2016 STEWARDSHIP SERMON SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
2014-2015 STEWARDSHIP SERMON SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
2013-2014 STEWARDSHIP SERMON SCHOLARSHIP WINNER
2012-2013 STEWARDSHIP SERMON SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
2011-2012 STEWARDSHIP SERMON SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
2010-2011 STEWARDSHIP SERMON SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
Liz Chua, Ambrose University College & Seminary
Brandon Powell, Nazarene Theological Seminary
Gregory Grimmet, Point Loma Nazarene University
2009-2010 STEWARDSHIP SERMON SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
Dylon Brown, Nazarene Theological Seminary
Joseph Foltz, Nazarene Theological Seminary
Andra Kee, MidAmerica Nazarene University
Andrew Newman, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
2008-2009 STEWARDSHIP SERMON SCHOLARSHIP WINNER
Shane Chamberlin, Eastern Nazarene College
Call toll free: 1-800-544-8413