Current Officers of the Board of General Superintendents
Dr. Eugénio R. Duarte, Chair
Dr. Stan A. Toler, Vice Chair
Dr. David W. Graves, Secretary
Duties of the Board of General Superintendents
The Board of General Superintendents is comprised of six general superintendents elected by the General Assembly. This is the highest elected office within the Church of the Nazarene.
The duties of the Board of General Superintendents are outlined by the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene. Briefly stated, some but not all of these duties include:
• To provide supervision of the international Church of the Nazarene, giving attention to leadership, guidance, motivation, and access to all Phase 3 districts.
• To interpret the law and doctrine of the Church of the Nazarene and the meaning of all provisions of the Manual.
• To supervise all general boards and committees of the General Board.
• To nominate, approve, and/or fill vacancies of various general offices and committees in accordance with Manual provisions.
• To approve the appointment of all missionaries.
• To appoint general superintendents to serve as advisers of all Nazarene institutions of higher education affiliated with the International Board of Education.
• To appoint general superintendents to serve as responsible general superintendents for all departments of the General Board.
• To apportion the World Evangelism Fund in conjunction with the General Board.
Duties of the individual General Superintendents
The duties of the general superintendents are outlined by the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene. Briefly stated, some but not all of these duties include:
• To serve on the Board of General Superintendents.
• To have general supervision of the Church of the Nazarene, subject to the law and order as adopted by the General Assembly.
• To preside over the General Assembly and the General Board of the Church of the Nazarene.
• To ordain or appoint others to ordain those who have been duly elected to be elders or deacons.
• To preside over each Phase 3 district assembly.
• To serve as advisers of assigned Nazarene institutions of higher education and as responsible general superintendents for assigned departments of the General Board.
• To appoint district superintendents and pastors under specific provisions detailed in the Manual.
Election of the General Superintendents
General superintendents are elected by a two-thirds vote of the General Assembly members present and voting. Currently there are six general superintendents. The General Assembly may elect as many general superintendents as it deems necessary.
Incumbent general superintendents are elected by a “yes” or “no” ballot. Any vacancies remaining are then filled by ensuing ballots until the elections are completed.
Those qualified for election to the office of general superintendent are:
• Elders within the Church of the Nazarene.
• Those who have never surrendered their credentials for disciplinary reasons.
• Those who have reached the age of 35 years but not yet reached the age of 68 years.