April 26, 2010
I recently returned to Haiti and want to update the church on the challenges we face and the progress being made. I held three assemblies while I was there, all of which were well attended. The people are deeply grateful for the outpouring of love and generosity from Nazarenes around the world and are filled with a hope and confidence that only the Lord can give. I will go back to Haiti the weekend of 4 July 2010 for a day of planning with our district superintendents and to participate in our seminary commencement and an ordination rally.
The latest reports from the field indicate the following:
- At least 109 Nazarenes were killed in the earthquake, with hundreds physically injured.
- More than 60 Nazarene churches were severely damaged or destroyed.
- Seventy Nazarene church schools were badly damaged.
- More than 1,500 Nazarene homes were destroyed.
- Churches outside Port-au-Prince are reporting that thousands of evacuees have shown up in their communities, adding stress to already underserved areas.