Thank you for visiting the official website for the Commission on the Nazarene Future.
I am David McClung, an attorney and businessman from Gig Harbor, Washington. I was appointed chairman of the Commission on the Nazarene Future by the Board of General Superintendents.
The General Assembly designed the Commission on the Nazarene Future to be different from any prior commission or committee.
The goal of the Commission is to present to the Board of General Superintendents four documents:
1. A report which will express a vision for the future of the Church of the Nazarene, including the changes recommended by the Commission.
2. A draft of a "Global Manual". The draft will include Manual changes recommended by the Commission. Portions of the Manual that are not substantively changed will be updated with the goal of simplification.
3. A draft of Amended Articles of Incorporation.
4. A plan for implementation of the changes recommended.
This Commission reports to the Board of General Superintendents rather than to the General Assembly. This change makes it practical for the Commission to provide interim reports and for the Board of General Superintendent to give feedback.
The work plan adopted by the Commission divides the work of the Commission into three stages:
1. In 2010, the Commission will study "What makes us Nazarene?" with the objective of identifying what things about the church should be free from change.
2. In 2011, the Commission will address the issue of "How can the church be even more effective?" Particular attention will be focused on the role of general superintendents, but the mandate is broad enough to allow consideration of any suggestion.
3. At the conclusion of 2012, the Commission will present to the Board of General Superintendents a report listing the changes recommended.
We invite you to participate when surveys are posted on this site and to return often over the next three years to view our progress.
David McClung, Chairman