HAVING CONSIDERED SR-757, SR-756, SR-756a AND ICC-5, THE SPECIAL RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE RECOMMENDS THAT SR-757 BE CONSIDERED FOR ALL AND REPORTS THE FOLLOWING ACTION:ACTION: ADOPTED
VOTE: 7 FOR ADOPTION
0 AGAINST ADOPTION
COMMISSION ON THE NAZARENE FUTURE
Board of General Superintendents
RESOLVED that the 27th General Assembly of the Church of the Nazarene empower the Board of General Superintendents to conduct a study on the Nazarene Future focusing on our ecclesiology, polity, and missional strategy. Particular attention should be given to the role of the general superintendency.
This study group is to reflect the rich diversity of our faith community around the world.
The Board of General Superintendents will receive annual reports on the progress of this study and will report to the General Board in the year preceding the 28th General Assembly.
The General Board will bring any necessary recommendations to said General Assembly for consideration and action.SEE SR-757
COMMISSION FOR REORGANIZATION
Washington Pacific District Resolutions Committee
RESOLVED that a commission be appointed by the Board of General Superintendents with the following mandate:
To recommend to the 2013 General Assembly a more efficient organizational structure for the Church of the Nazarene. The commission shall specifically review the role and place for districts, for each of the Nazarene educational institutions and for the auxiliaries.SEE SR-757
COMMISSION ON THE FUTURE OF GENERAL CHURCH LEADERSHIP
Arizona District General Assembly Delegation
RESOLVED that a commission be established for the 2009-2013 quadrennium that will report to the 2013 General Assembly. The commission shall be called the “Commission on Church Leadership.” The scope of the commission’s work will be the following:
1. To evaluate and make recommendations to the General Assembly on the structure, role, and number of members of the general superintendency. Particular attention should be paid to the following issues:
• Less time spent presiding at district assemblies.
• More time spent in issues of leadership, vision, and mission
• A single denominational leader elected by the General Assembly from among the elected general superintendents.
• The role of the Board of General Superintendents and their reporting structure to the denominational leader.
• A regional structure of the general superintendency reporting to the general leader.
2. To evaluate and make recommendations to the General Assembly regarding leadership models for the 21st century and beyond. The leadership models should be responsive to the needs for Global Evangelism and taking the message of Holiness around the world in the most effective and efficient manner. Particular attention should be paid to the following issues:
• Centralized leadership vs. de-centralized leadership.
• Structuring for control/maintenance/risk reduction vs. growth/progressiveness/risk taking.
• Matching the denominational structure to meet the stated mission of being an international church.
• Matching denominational structure with the concept of being “missional.”
• Particular attention should be placed 1 on decreasing the cost of “central administration” at the general level.
Membership: A commission of 12 members shall be elected as follows:
• Two general superintendents shall be elected by plurality by the General Board to serve on the commission.
• 10 members (5 clergy and 5 lay) shall be elected by the General Board by majority vote from a slate of 12 clergy and 12 lay nominees. The slate of nominees will come from each world region nominating 2 clergy and 2 lay nominees by ballot from the 2009 General Assembly regional caucuses. If logistics prevent this from happening at the 2009 General Assembly, it can be done by mail/email in follow up.
• Except for the general superintendents, the members of the commission shall not be employees of the General Church.
• A chair and secretary shall be elected from among the ten clergy/lay members by the commission membership.
• Meetings shall be set by the chair with the consensus of the commission membership.
The commission shall report to the 2013 General Assembly its findings and recommendations, including any potential implementing legislation that may come from the work of the commissionSEE SR-757LATE RESOLUTION
GLOBAL CHURCH COMMISSION TO CONTINUE THE WORK
OF INTERNATIONAL CHURCH COMMITTEE
International Church Committee
Resolved that a commission
be appointed by the Board of General Superintendents to continue the work of the International Church Committee and report to the 2013 General Assembly.
Be it further resolved that the commission members include the following:
• One person from each of the six world mission areas
• One person from Canada
• Two persons from the United States
• Two persons at large
• A general superintendent, the general secretary, and two additional representatives from the Global Ministry Center to serve as non voting members
For a printable copy of the resolution, please click here