The Pittsburgh district is on the Eastern region (USA).
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania--Throughout the week of July 21-29, the Pittsburgh District celebrated 100 years of ministry to Western Pennsylvania and beyond. The district was formed following the first General Assembly in Chicago, Illinois in 1907. Phineas Bresee authorized T. H. Agnew to start organizing churches between Western Pennsylvania and Iowa. In the years between 1906 and 1908, four churches that still exist today were formed here.
Originally, the district encompassed the states of Ohio, West Virginia, and the western portion of Pennsylvania. From this one district, five districts were formed in Ohio and two districts were formed in West Virginia.
According to Pittsburgh District Superintendent Stephen Dillman, the centennial celebration featured a re-enactment of an historical event in the denomination's history. He reports: "The 'Pilot Point Parade of Churches' celebrated the organization of the 80 active congregations and 13 New Starts, led by our oldest congregation, Pittsburgh Lincoln Place—organized in 1897."
Music is an important part of the district’s history. On Saturday, July 28, the Centennial Choir, composed of adults, youth, and children, presented "Music Through the Decades." The musical featured popular songs from each of the last 10 decades. The musical was arranged and directed by Daryl Jalosky.
Other events included a museum featuring photos of every district superintendent since organization, and photos of assemblies dating back to 1909. The celebration also featured General Superintendent Nina G. Gunter, who spoke on the theme "Looking Backward: Our Heritage of Holiness" and Mid-Atlantic District Superintendent Kenneth Mills, who closed the celebration by preaching on the theme of "Moving Forward: Our Mission."
Lauren and June Cousins, district laypersons, chaired the anniversary committee.
--Pittsburgh District via NCN News